杰奎琳·海恩的讲师。 初级教师教育, talks us through the benefits of teaching through play 而且 the reasons why she became a play-based learning convert.
How I became a play-based learning convert
This may shock you but I was once an Newly Qualified Teacher (or NQT as we call them). Passionate, dedicated 而且 ready to change the world with my particular view of teaching. I was certain the teaching ability I had developed (with much support) over the three years of my BA in 初级教师教育 at the 世界杯压球APP was the way forward 而且 I knew all there was to know.
However, my NQT year was in Key Stage One with Year One pupils. 作为后来的毕业生, 我石化, but I was determined to do the best I could for the children. 像大多数NQTs, I tried to help them to be successful 而且 enjoy their time in school but I have to be honest, 好像少了点什么. Although by the school’s (而且 OFSTED’s) st而且ards I was giving the children a good quality education, 我觉得我可以做得更好.
Sometime later, I found myself teaching Year Two pupils in the Middle East. It was here I started to realise what the missing ingredient for my teaching was... 玩. I had always provided practical 而且 interactive lessons for my children but it wasn’t until I taught through the 凯西·沃克学习方法 that I realised the power of child-led play. 的 凯西·沃克学习方法 makes children active in their learning through personalised h而且s-on 而且 creative exploration 而且 investigation. This was my introduction to a personalised curriculum that focussed on the transformational power of valuing play 而且 in structuring my teaching to follow the interests of my pupils. 突然, teaching became something I couldn’t wait to tackle because of the fascinating interactions I was having with my pupils.
To be honest, as a teacher, play is difficult. It's challenging to plan lessons because the interests of individual pupils are so different. It’s also tricky to evidence progress, 因为很多游戏都是短暂的, 但是我的天啊, 长期影响是难以置信的. George (2011) goes so far as to say that child-led learning based in play can transform the engagement of the most challenging child. 木(2013), 与此同时, suggests that although the exploration of interests can be cognitively dem而且ing, the educational benefits are not always measurable or visible. 的refore, because of strict accountability measures, learning through play is unpopular in schools.
这是一个耻辱，因为, when asked about the benefits of play-based learning, I don’t think there is a teacher alive who wouldn't list the following:
- Flexibility to be inclusive to all learners
- Potential to challenge gifted students
This is supported by Bass 而且 Walker (2015), who cite developmentally appropriate practice 而且 intentional teaching through play as a 这是学业成功的关键因素.
What can we do to encourage leaning through play?
- Be brave, stick to your principles 而且 invest your time into researching play-based pedagogy. As with anything of quality, play takes time to yield results in measurable ways.
- Blind sceptical colleagues with science. UNICEF 而且 the LEGO Foundation (2018) have teamed up to produce evidence-based research that demonstrates how play in early years can lead to children being more able to invest in education in later stages of their life. If the creators of the ubiquitous brick can’t sway the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) there are scores of journals, websites 而且 forums that are dedicated to the promotion of child-centred play.
- Plan lessons around questions, not answers. Think about the interests of your pupils first 而且 how they can link to the areas of the curriculum you need to include. 最后，如果你不能做任何其他事情, make room for structured play in lessons with obvious links (Science, 艺术, D和T, P.E.).
- Most importantly: value 而且 invest in your Early Years teachers. Skilled practitioners in this area can teach your whole school about the relationships you need with children to engender the best outcomes from play-based learning.
鲈鱼,年代. 和沃克,K. (2015) Early Childhood Play Matters Intentional teaching through play: birth to six years, 维多利亚,宏碁的新闻
乔治,维. (2011) 年轻的天才和无聊， 喀麦登,皇冠
木材、E. (2013) Play, Learning 而且 the Early Childhood Curriculum, 3rd 版,伦敦,圣人
UNICEF (2018) Learning Through Play: Strengthening Learning through play in Early Education Programmes, 纽约, 联合国儿童基金会
杰奎琳·海恩是一名讲师 初级教师教育 alongside supervising dissertation students on the 小学户外教育课程. 的 Primary Initial Teaching Education (With QTS) BA (Hons) at the 世界杯压球APP offers pathways in both Early years (ages 3-7) 而且 Later Years (5-11) 而且 offers a balance between involving 而且 innovative teaching 而且 supportive placements.
All views expressed in this blog are the Academic’s own 而且 do not represent the views, policies or opinions of the 世界杯压球APP or any of its partners.